Frequently Asked Questions

Home  /  frequently Asked Questions

Why take the CELPIP test?

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada, you know that language proficiency is one of the immigration requirements. High results on the CELPIP language proficiency test can, in fact, make a big difference in your Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS).

What is the connection between CELPIP and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)?

The CELPIP Test is designated byImmigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The CELPIP-General Test is proof of English language proficiency for permanent resident status in Canada and the CELPIP-General LS Test is proof of Listening and Speaking proficiency for Canadian citizenship. For specific language requirements, please visit the IRCC website at

What do you learn in the English Program at Access International College?

This course is for ESL students who plan to apply for a working visa, permanent residence in Canada, or Canadian citizenship and are required to submit a proof of English language proficiency as part of their application. The main purpose of this course is to familiarize students with the structure of the CELPIP– General test and equip them with effective skills and strategies needed to under take the exam with confidence. Students refine their test taking skills through frequent practice tests, including a mock examination, and an on-going feedback from the instructor.

What is the CELPIP citizenship score?

Canadian English Language Proficiency IndexProgram General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking), not the academic version. For tests taken after April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of level 4 or higher (up to 12) in listening and speaking.

Is CELPIP easier than IELTS?

Difficulty.Both IELTS and CELPIP were designed to measuring English language proficiency; the level of difficulty is approximately the same in both tests. However, certain sections can be viewed as easier or more difficult by individual test-takers. ...IELTS is a paper-based exam, while CELPIP is completely computerized.


For Canadian immigration, you have to provide language test results from an authorized organization. There are two authorized test providers in English, the International English LanguageTesting System (IELTS) and the Canadian English Language Proficiency IndexProgram (CELPIP).

What score do I need?

Unfortunately, there’s no simple answer to this question.

Most Canadian economic immigration programs have minimum language requirements, but they are not all the same. So the score you need to get may depend on the program you’re applying to.

However, many programs operate on points systems. Points may be awarded for things like age, work experience, and education, in addition to language proficiency. Depending on your profile, the language test score you need to qualify could be different from the minimum requirement.

Our advice is to give it your best effort.If you don’t like your results, you can also take the test again to try to improve them.

How can I immigrate to Canada?

There are many different ways you can obtain Canadian Permanent Residence. It all depends on the candidate’s profile. There isn’t the best way or the easiest way. To establish viability for immigration to Canada, we will analyze your profile in terms of age, education, professional experience, family composition, knowledge of English or French, country of origin, previous experiences in Canada and other countries, financial capacity and availability. The process of obtaining permanent residence in Canada requires commitment, effort and flexibility.

Some possible pathways:

  • As a Skilled Worker, through the Federal programs via Express Entry;
  • Obtaining Provincial Nomination under the different sub categories available;
  • Obtaining a valid job offer with a professional skill;
  • As a caregiver;
  • As a post-secondary student;
  • As an entrepreneur or via corporate immigration;
  • Obtaining a valid job offer with a professional skill;
  • Being sponsored by a close relative (spouse or partner, children and other relatives in exceptional circumstances)

I am not married, but I have been in a longterm relationship, does that count?

Canada recognizes common-law partner status as a relationship that is ‘marriage like’ and in which the opposite or same sex couple has been living together for 12months or more. The couple will have to satisfy the immigration officer that their relationship is genuine and show evidence or their time together.

What are the main factors for immigration?

Knowledge ofEnglish or French, education and age. With some exceptions, the majority of candidates who successfully obtain permanent residence are 20 to 35 years of age, speak English or French fluently, (sometimes both), have a high educational level, having studied either in Canada or in their countries of origin. It is important to know there is a huge weight on proficiency on one or both official languages.

Who can I include in my permanent residence application?

Are considered part of the immediate family of the principal applicant:

  • Spouse or common-law partner;
  • Children younger than 22 years of age, both biological or adopted, as long as not married nor in a common law relationship (the increase in age for dependents will be in effect on October24 2017, until then, the official age of dependents is 19);
  • Dependent children of dependent children (i.e. a candidate has a son who is 18 years old, not married nor in common law relationship, but he has a 1 year old son; the grandson counts as a dependent of the principal applicant);
  • Children older than 21dependent of the principal applicant due to physical or mental disability.

What are the costs and deadlines to obtain PR?

Each process has its processing time and cots. The processing times also depend on where the application is being reviewed. Here are some useful links:

Please note that each provincial process also has its own costs and deadlines.

Do I need to hire an immigration consultant?

A RegulatedCanadian Immigration Consultant can offer different services to help clients succeed. As student, spouse looking to bring their loved one to Canada, or skilled workers looking to obtain permanent residence.

On our initial consultation, we will evaluate your profile, check for inadmissibility factors, and establish the best pathway and strategy.

There is no commitment in hiring further services after the initial consultation. It is not mandatory to use a paid representative but it is useful and it helps the candidate avoid common mistakes when filling out forms and gathering supporting documentation.

Join the conversation